If you're looking for something easy to cook, while you're at work all day, this is the recipe for you. Beans and rice are so comforting and pretty cheap to prepare as well. They're really easy to make in a crock pot, but can be made on the stove as well.
What you'll need is:
- 1 pound of dried white beans (Camellia brand northern beans)
- 1 pound of salt meat, or any left over ham or bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 of a bell pepper, chopped
- 4 or 5 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small handful of fresh parsley, minced
- 2-3 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning (such as Slap Ya Mama)
- Water or stock to cover the beans
- Cooked rice
And that's it, pretty small list.
First, rinse and pick over the beans for any small pebbles. Add the beans to your crock pot.
Next, add in your salt meat, or whichever meat you're using to season your beans.
Add in your veggies and seasonings. Then cover with water or stock. About a half inch over where the beans end, it's usually about 6 cups.
Set on high and cook 4 to 5 hours. Add water or stock if needed.
*If you're leaving it to cook all day while you're at work, add about an inch and a half over the beans of water or stock, and cook on low for about 8 hours.
Serve with cooked white rice.