Dirty rice is a staple around here. We eat it at barbeques, holidays, as a side for fried chicken, or just anytime really. It's really easy to make and feeds a crowd, for not a lot of money. Plus it just tastes good.
Here are the ingredients:
- 1 lb of ground meat, pork or beef or both (not lean, 80/20)
- 1 1lb tub of Dressing mix (I used Savoie's, but you can make your own if you prefer)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 bell pepper (seeded and chopped)
- 5 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning (I'm using Slap ya Mama)
- 1 to 1 & 1/2 cups of water
- 6 cups of cooked white rice
- Chopped green onions (for garnish)
- Chopped parsley (for garnish)
Chop all of your veggies and set aside.
Brown your ground meat in a 5 or 6 quart pot.
Add in the dressing mix.
Add in the chopped onions, bell peppers, quarter cup of parsley and minced garlic. Let this brown for a few minutes.
Next add in a cup of water and 2 tablespoons of Cajun seasoning.
Let it simmer on low for about 20 - 30 minutes. Watch to make sure your water level doesn't drop too much. Add in more if needed. You need to keep it a little liquidy so you're rice dressing isn't dry.
After 20 - 30 minutes, turn off the heat, and add in your cooked rice and mix well.
Garnish with green onions and parsley.